Wednesday, October 15, 2008

EG1471_ePortfolio_4

Writing a good essay in engineering classes can be a great challenge for many students. An effective and persuasive scientific essay involves the ability of choosing accurate words and organizing skills. Prior to that, reading and understanding skills are also critical as we need to analyze the questions and determine the main points required.

Before we start writing, we need broad understandings on the topics. Not only in MLE but also one of my breadth modules – General Biology, there are a lot of new words being introduced to me. The limited vocabulary that I know prevents me from understanding the syllabus well. During my high school years, I was taught to write good and proper essay using simple words and sentences, but now the words used are deeper in meaning, where the words are so precise that it can only be used in certain situations and conditions. To overcome this problem, I’ll need to spend a lot of time in making my own notes to assist me in memorizing the important words. Besides that, I also need to do research to help me understand better before I write reports.

Furthermore, my weak grammar knowledge causes me to spend a lot of time in writing. I find it time consuming in making sentences with proper grammar. To solve this difficulty, I need to do a lot of exercises especially exercises on answering essay questions. Practice on past year exam paper is critically important, as it gives us a brighter view on how the exam pattern is going to be. Moreover, an approach to the lecturer or tutor when facing problems is also crucial. We must never leave all the doubts and questions until the last minutes before final exam. Therefore, a constant study is vital in order to achieve good results.

Producing a good essay requires hard work and continuous practice. As the saying ‘Practice makes perfect’, I believe that everyone can do well in our engineering course if we study hard!

4 comments:

Calvin Tan said...

hey wern fei!
first up, I like how you start one of your sentence with "Prior to that...". We really have to read more about topics and forums related to chemical engineering in the net. As they say, the internet is the bank of knowledge and it depends on how much money (effort on searching and reading) you put in to collect the interest (knowledge). Weak grammar can be overcome by doing more practices and will do with some memory work.

KIM said...

hi Wern Fei,
Firstly,it is lucky that we don't have to write an essay in engineering classes, at least in this semester. However, answering questions using paragraph is not easy at all.
Secondly, it is likely that your third paragraph. You maybe oriented to the whole difficulties in studying engineering classes, not only focus on writing. Anyway, try your best and get the best result.

KIM said...

I have just changed the two sentence that you mentioned before.You can review if you have time.Thanks for your comment.

laishan said...

Memorising important words can be quite tedious.It may help sometimes but not in all situations. I have tried that before but i find reading scientific materials more useful.